woensdag 31 maart 2010

Identity of where you belong too

Reading the schedule for this week about identity was on the one hand difficult and on the other hand I think it’s a part of life for some people. This subject was already discussed when I was studying tourism.
The teacher said that: ``Identity is a symbol of where you belong too``. I disagree with her saying that, because children of mixed culture have difficulties of where they belong in a society. I think that identity is a choice that some people make to decide in which group, community or society they want to belong too.

However, around the globe, some people have the intention of feeling, to belong somewhere in a society or community that gives them confidence. For instance, President Barack Obama wrote in his book “The Audacity of Hope” that he founds his identity through visiting the church. The people of the church accepted him and he feels also being accepted by that community. He knew all the Sunday hymns from the top of his head and was completely sure that this was the place where he belongs too. After I read this book, it made me sad that racial issues are still having a huge impact on some people´s life. Even though most of people know that Barack Obama is a mix of color, it does not mean that people have to choose for a community or for equal colors.

My opinion is that people are supposed to think in which way the problems of the world can be solved, such as poverty, diseases, war, inhumanity etcetera. So identity of where you belong to is not a great issue. For myself I find identity not important. Identity doesn't improve my personal life. Identity is for me just like a choice that people make of where they think to belong to a society or community. What do you think about identity of where you belong too?

2 opmerkingen:

  1. Unfortunately, I have to disagree with you. Not knowing your identity can be very difficult to my opinion. Not knowing if you are a happy person, or a person that appreciates norms and values can be extremely unsatisfying. For some people it can be very difficult not knowing who they are, and how they function. Would you also not find it extremely strange not knowing what your function would be in this world, and not knowing what to do?
    I do however agree that identity is not only shaped by your roots. I think identity are the things you stand for, such as norms and values, which Barack Obama found in his church.

    Martijn

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen
  2. I do like how you state your own opinion throughout this piece. I would like to know how you would describe your own identity if you could only 3 words. What words would you use, and which norms and values do you think are important in life? These are the things that I think form a personality and identity.

    BeantwoordenVerwijderen